I've finally achieved consistency in my life. Any person of average or above intelligence can predict what I will say next with unerring accuracy. And what I say will always be wrong.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

[ITSALLABOUTMEMAN] The awfulness that is Jian Ghomeshi

 

I endured this fellow on the CBC for much of the time we lived in Canada, but I never really took the time to put my feelings in writing, but then the scandal erupted, and I took the opportunity to lay it out in response to Mio Adilman's facebook post.  Unfortunately, I didn't think of reprinting it here until after he already deleted it!

Here is Adilman's post, followed by my reconstruction of my response as best I can remember it.


every week for 5 years this was also my experience...

I have no idea whether ex-CBC radio host Jian Ghomeshi is a sexual predator, as alleged. But I do...
fullcomment.nationalpost.com

Mio, I enjoyed your every appearance on Q, always. However I can't share Jonathan Kay's or your enthusiasm for Ghomeshi as a host. Program after program, he had great guests, but it was a frustration experience, the interviews were lumpy and disjointed because he could not resist constantly inserting himself into the story in places where he didn't belong.  His tagline was always "to be continued," but nothing was ever continued, nothing was ever finished or resolved because he was such a poor interviewer.

His interview of Billy Bob Thornton stands out in my memory.  I have no sympathy at all for Thornton; I hated him, and then I forgot him. I had to look up his name to write this. However, I was surprised to hear the interview - I concluded that Ghomeshi ambushed and baited him (perhaps he was bringing his bedroom technique into the interview?).  I realize this is a minority opinion, that overwhelmingly people approved of Ghomeshi's handling of the guest. Perhaps there was some national pride involved; local boy nails the hide of the Ugly American to the wall?

At any rate, I entirely gave up the dubious pleasure of Ghomeshi's company, and was better off for it. I wasn't thrilled when I learned that Ghomeshi had followed me back to the states via NPR after we moved back, but I've managed to avoid him here, too.  Kay mis-charactorizes NPR as the intellectual high end of American media; it's Fox News for the whine and brie set, who like to imagine they are consuming a superior brand of propaganda.

It was dismaying to me to experience the decay of the CBC (no doubt courtesy of Mr. Harper) during the time we lived there - it more and more began to resemble NPR. This was also the period of Ghomeshi's ascendancy. 

if the charges against Ghomeshi are unfounded, I hope he comes out of this OK, but I really don't understand Kay's claims about his supposed greatness, he was one of the more irritating media people I've been exposed to.

__._,_.___

Posted by: matt love <mattlove1@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

.

__,_._,___

No comments: