I've finally achieved consistency in my life. Any person of average or above intelligence can predict what I will say next with unerring accuracy. And what I say will always be wrong.

Friday, February 09, 2007

Shedding a tear for Ima Freak

If I ever knew it, I'd forgotten that John Michael Talbot was in Mason
Profitt. I was looking up the lyrics to "Two Hangmen" and found a link
to his homepage. I read with much interest his disillusionment with
"hippies" and rock music.

It was kind of a standard position at the time. I went to Bethesda
Christian Center in Wenatchee WA in the late 70s - John Michaels music
was very popular there, as was Terry Talbot's. I think recall Terry
Talbot playing there, and Bethesda putting on a full press to get him
to relocate there.

Before they collapsed in a Jim Bakker-like scandal, their radio
station broadcast Ronald Reagan's homilies daily. What poisonous
associations exist for John Micheal Talbot in my mind!

Now here we are a good many years on... you know, the hippies are long
gone, either dead or driving SUVs. We've had a third of a century of
US presidents who claim a born again relationship with the Lord. The
current president makes the most extravagant claims of daily dialogue
with God - apparently he's giving God orders, who is compliantly
standing down while Bush is rewriting the scriptures, just as congress
is accepting his rewriting of the constitution.

Bethesda's specialty was recruiting long-haired and barefoot hippies
through their coffee shop, and getting them into 3-piece suits. From
the let it be 70s to the go-go-greed is good 80s, the feelin my pain
90s to the Thanatos worshiping 00s, I've seen a whole lot of whupass
come done in the name of Christ, and I'll tell you what, the hippies
only look better and better as there recede in history's rear view
mirror.

Anyway, if you get a chance, you might pass the word onto John Michael
- his concerns are a little bit out of date. He might want to update
his resume, there's a whole new job to be done, and it makes the last
one look like light duty.

No comments: