I've finally achieved consistency in my life. Any person of average or above intelligence can predict what I will say next with unerring accuracy. And what I say will always be wrong.

Thursday, February 02, 2006

[CanYoAssDigIt] Correction on your Band Name Origins page...

It just now struck me... man, I am so slow - I loved The Thompson
Twins "hold me now" back then - even learned it and played a cover
version at open mics.

My wife, who grew up in South Africa and had a different cultural
background than me (USA), loves Tintin, and first the books, then a
Canadian animation on DVD became part of my life...

Yet it took me until today to think "hey, d'ya suppose"... your page
(http://www.geocities.com/temptations_page/origins.html#tt) confirmed
it:

"The Thompson Twins -Despite the band being a trio, they took their
name from a pair of characters, identical twins featured in Tintin, a
French comic series. The bumbling, mustachioed detectives are known
from their odd speech patters and the even odder fact that their only
dissimilarity is their different last names --- one is Thomson, the
other is Thompson, "with a P, as in psychoanalysis."

***
But it's a hell of a world, isn't it? You provide this generous
service, and all you ask in return is that I Tell you my thoughts and
dreams. Instead I offer petty criticism. Tintin is a Belgian
character, created by a Belgian cartoonist, Hergé (Georges Rémi), who
first appeared in 1929 in a children's supplement to a Belgian daily
newspaper, Le Vingtième Siècle.

Our scrappy Tintin is no surrender monkey, though I'm sure that now
and again Tintin negotiated the vending of some cheesy comestibles.

I don't want to be too pushy about this, but I would just hate to see
how my wife's tears would well up if she saw your page before you
correct it.

And to be extremely pedantic - Thomson and Thompson have one
additional dissimilarity. The moustache of one of the detectives (I
don't know which one, perhaps my wife, while dabbing away her tears,
could tell you) curls up slightly at the tips. The other doesn't. I
now that extraordinary claims demand extraordinary proof, therefore, I
attach a picture that provides that proof.

You have my personal assurances that (unlike the Magruder film) this
picture has not been tampered with.


Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CanYoAssDigIt/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
CanYoAssDigIt-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments: