I've finally achieved consistency in my life. Any person of average or above intelligence can predict what I will say next with unerring accuracy. And what I say will always be wrong.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Re: [ILoveIshtar] Howdy

Hey, Matt... no avoiding, just VERY little time. My 2nd apologies. I hear the comments from everybody... life is just too weird, though I'm glad I showed for it. What's your home number? Love to catch up that way...

Jef Leeson, Ishtar The Movie Webchef  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- "People would rather suffer with what they have than try the unknown." http://www.ishtarthemovie.com http://www.lddonline.com


matt love wrote:
On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 9:02 AM, Ishtar The Movie Webchef <itmcontact@ishtarthemovie.com> wrote:    
Very cool to hear, Matt.  Jef Leeson, Ishtar The Movie Webchef  ---------------------------------------------------------- "People would rather suffer with what they have than try the unknown." http://www.ishtarthemovie.com http://www.lddonline.com     
 Hey Jef,  Thanks for the shout out - but I'm beginning to think you're avoiding me, this is the 2nd time I've been to Toronto and failed to connect with you - I hope the situation can be corrected in a future visit.  In more recent Ishtar related activity, I finally took the plunge and ordered Moes Haven's CD "November the 'Tar!" The significance of the name escapes me, though I wonder if the 'Tar might have something to do with Ishtar, since the lengthy cover blurb notes that the CD is:  "A collection of songs written in the tradition of the compositions of Rogers and Clarke, as portrayed by Warren Beatty and Dustin Hoffman in the 1987 Columbia feature film, Ishtar, a much maligned production centered on the meteoric rise of an ill-received singer/songwriter duo, which in no way deserved the almost universal disparagement it received from critics who focused disproportionately upon the picture's lavish budget instead of its groundbreaking humor and ribald social commentary, which is only now, some two decades later, finally being recognized by a select few respected scholars and erudite theologians."  As an exercise in songwriting (and extreme obsessive compulsive behavior the group wrote and recorded a mind-boggling 365 albums one year - that's right, one for every single day.  They then selected the best songs from each month and issued 12 CDs.  The November CD is devoted to Ishtar. I ordered it from CDBaby a fair amount of time ago, and though I have always had great customer service from them in the past, a couple of days ago I found myself thinking,  "jeez it's been a long time since I ordered that Moes Haven CD from CDBaby - I pretty much paid a premium rate for the postage - postage from the US to Canada isn't nearly what they charged me!"  So then I checked my mailbox, and guess what was in it?  I've listened to it repeatedly (it's going head to head with Robert Plant and Allison Krauss for ear space, and it's pretty much a dead heat), I absolutely love it, it's just wonderful, wonderful music, containing perhaps the best couplet ever committed in popular song:  she does it so derisively, it's like she's dumping ice on me...  You would have thought that they'd be running pretty dry on inspiration, having already done 300+ songs that year, but that isn't the case at all.  You don't need to be an Ishtar fan to enjoy this album (though it helps) - I only heard one explicit Ishtar reference, when they singer invites a date to watch a movie, maybe even Ishtar! Who could resist that romantic invitation?  If you haven't checked them out yet, I urge you do so now.  Their website is http://www.moeshaven.com/    

__._,_.___
Y! Entertainment

World of Star Wars

Rediscover the force.

Explore now.

Best of Y! Groups

Check it out

and nominate your

group to be featured.

Moderator Central

Yahoo! Groups

Get the latest news

from the team.

.

__,_._,___

No comments: