I've finally achieved consistency in my life. Any person of average or above intelligence can predict what I will say next with unerring accuracy. And what I say will always be wrong.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

[ItsAllAboutMeMan] The Day I met Engelbert Humperdinck

I took the bus to the stadium station, where I was going to ride the
LRT downtown to CKUA. He was sitting on a bench by himself. I didn't
know he was a celebrity until he introduced himself. To nobody in
particular.

"Engelbert Humperdinck. Live, in person, Engelbert Humperdinck."

He didn't really look like Engelbert Humperdinck, but heck, time does
that, I don't look like myself much anymore either.

"Do you want my autograph?" He demanded. "DO YOU WANT MY FUCKING AUTOGRAPH?"

I kind of avoided him, but still he fixed his gaze on me as I slid
past, trying to not make eye contact. He thrust his hand out at me,
stiff as a meat cleaver.

"Friend?!?" He said wildly. "Friend?!?"

I had heard that he had a heart-shaped swimming pool, but that didn't
interest me much in the sub-zero Edmonton winter. I felt kind of bad,
because I know how it is with famous people like Engelbert Humperdinck
and Gene Simmons, they can't accept it when the spotlight moves on
from them onto younger talent like Britney Spears and the Jonas
Brothers, but I wasn't really into his music that much, and I didn't
want to have to explain that to him, it might hurt his feelings. Soon
enough (like in about a microsecond) he turned his attention to
another potential fan: "Friend?!? Friend?!?"

You meet the most interesting people when you ride the LRT.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is no way that Engelbert would act that way! He is the kindest and most soft spoken person I know. Where do you get off with "Do You Want My Fucking Autograph???"....absurd, Engelbert would never have said that!

Scott D said...

I too have had the pleasure of meeting Engelbert Humperdinck he is an absolute gentleman.

Engelbert has sold over 150 million records and sold out every major concert venue in every corner of the globe he certainly has NOTHING to prove.

As far as younger acts, Engelbert not only encourages youngsters but also writes and manages for a select few up and coming acts.

Perhaps the ignorant liar who originally posted this dribble got his demo knocked back????

Engelbert s a superstar and super person forever giving to various charities around the globe.

Viva La Humpy!!